Monday, October 13, 2008

SHARING GRACIOUS MEMORIES of DEPRESSION ERA

"CREATIVITY IS A POOR MAN'S WEALTH"
---Ancient Adage
Dear Mrs. McBride,

     The Tampa Tribune Times.... gave a report giving your perspective on a frugal lifestyle.  I readily identified with your principles, as I have lived frugally all my life, having had the benefit of being a child in the Great Depression of the 1930's.  Money was not as important as "class".  As every family was pinched financially, it was not money that set people apart but attitude, education, manners, proper use of the English language, high moral values, and a preference for quality goods.  Nearly all of these can be acquired with a minimum expenditure of money.  I would like to share a few ideas that have been a great help to me in enjoying gracious living with my family.

      The evening dinner can become a time for family instruction and appreciation of the "finer things in life."  It is good to serve dinner in the dining room  with the table set tastefully.  Watch for bargains like this at garage sales and thrift shops, to create a beautiful table:

  • Attractive jars for jams and jellies
  • Linen and damask table napkins are often sold very inexpensively by people who cannot be bothered ironing them.   (Iron them while they are damp or wet--I recently bought six in pristine condition at ten cents apiece.)
  • English bone china cups saucers, and serving dishes.
  • Silver serving pieces for the table. I recently purchased a silver coffeepot for three dollars, black with tarnish.  It polished up beautifully.  These things may be used every day, not just for special occasions.  For an elegant table, avoid using anything plastic.
  • Have a centerpiece on the dining table made of garden flowers, flowering weeds, leaves or other fresh flowers.  Approach churches to obtain surplus flowers following ceremonies.  (I have obtained enough flowers to decorate our own church for a wedding.)
  • When dinner seems rather skimpy and dull, serve something special, like muffins hot from the oven, and your family will forget that the first part wasn't all that wonderful.
     I once came upon a saying that "creativity  is a poor man's wealth."  It certainly is a great help to develop this talent in order to achieve one's lifestyle in a frugal way.  ( It is easy to do, even if a person does not consider themselves to be "creative".)

Sincerely,
Jeanne Jeffries
FL

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tracey- I am so glad to see you have other blogs! the link you gave for the contentment therapy session is not working. I would love for the other ladies to get to you blogs as they are right up contentment alley! Do you think you could re sign up or maybe there is a way to correct that link on your end.

Tonight I came home very tired from work and had to cook for a family that is staying with us (with not job or place to go)- Afterwards I wanted to just veg and go watch a mindless movie but they were already watching something on our only tv- the grumbling started but then- how can I be content in this? Thank Jesus I have a house and tv I can share with this family and decided to come upstairs and check on my contentment group of ladies and got blessed!!!

Donetta said...

so true