-------
"That irregular and intimate quality of things made entirely by the human hand."
--Willa Cather
===
===
Dear Tracey, ....Your efforts to cultivate the gifts of heart and home are so appreciated. I, too, am unwilling to give up style, beauty, and happiness while trying to live within our means.
I have many frugal ideas I'd like to share with you. I love to send notes of encouragement and good thoughts to friends and family. I believe that sending them in a handmade card speaks volumes more than my words. Making cards is also an outlet for my creativity.
Several friends and I get together every few months and let the children play while we madly make cards and share ideas. The cards are not only attractive and thoughtful, but incredibly inexpensive!
~Buy 8 x 11 inch pieces of card stock (about six to ten cents apiece) at a paper or photocopy store...or use what you have on hand (cut large poster paper to size...or?)
~Cut each 8 x 11-inch card stock paper in half....then fold that in half. You will end up with two 4 x 4-inch cards.
~From fabric, cut out designs (i.e., hearts, flowers or other shapes--I often make a quilt-type pattern) and iron them on the front of each card. Use inexpensive iron-on webbing to adhere fabric to paper (follow the manufacturers directions).
~Outline, or "quilt" around the fabric design to make a border, or write a message. A Micron 01 pen works best, but a ballpoint pen will work in a pinch (or a fine-point Sharpie, just be careful that it doesn't bleed through the paper).
~Embellish each card with raffia (I often tie it into tiny bows), ribbons, buttons and so forth.
I have many frugal ideas I'd like to share with you. I love to send notes of encouragement and good thoughts to friends and family. I believe that sending them in a handmade card speaks volumes more than my words. Making cards is also an outlet for my creativity.
Several friends and I get together every few months and let the children play while we madly make cards and share ideas. The cards are not only attractive and thoughtful, but incredibly inexpensive!
-------
HOW TO MAKE MARIAN'S GREETING CARDS:~Buy 8 x 11 inch pieces of card stock (about six to ten cents apiece) at a paper or photocopy store...or use what you have on hand (cut large poster paper to size...or?)
~Cut each 8 x 11-inch card stock paper in half....then fold that in half. You will end up with two 4 x 4-inch cards.
~From fabric, cut out designs (i.e., hearts, flowers or other shapes--I often make a quilt-type pattern) and iron them on the front of each card. Use inexpensive iron-on webbing to adhere fabric to paper (follow the manufacturers directions).
~Outline, or "quilt" around the fabric design to make a border, or write a message. A Micron 01 pen works best, but a ballpoint pen will work in a pinch (or a fine-point Sharpie, just be careful that it doesn't bleed through the paper).
~Embellish each card with raffia (I often tie it into tiny bows), ribbons, buttons and so forth.
-------
Again, best wishes with your new book. I am anxiously awaiting its publication. Remember, take time out for you and your family amidst the work
With Love,
Marian Underdahl
Idaho
With Love,
Marian Underdahl
Idaho

.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment